b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'there is one God but God'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>, B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'there is one God but God'
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:52:51 +0000

The Islamic phrase is actually, "There is no God but Allah" (la ilaha illa
allah).

Comparable, but not exact, phrases include:

Deut 6.4; 32.39; Isa 44.6; 45.5.

Paul also seems to have a loose quote of Deut 6.4 in 1 Cor 8.4.

None of these are Trinitarian, though the Christian doctrine of the Trinity
properly understood is a monotheistic belief. But since Trinitarian theology
is beyond the scope of the forum, I won't go into it.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia