b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 110, Issue 4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 110, Issue 4
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:04:24 -0500

I have asked my trusted friend and confidant Duvidle Green for some counsel, and this is what he had to say about the strangeness of EDOTEYKA עֵדְו‍ֹתֶיךָ of Ne. 9:34:

1. Strangely enough, it is of the single-consonant root D, as is OD, 'more', and ADAD, 'uplift', (see in Ps.20:9), with ADAD being a variant of AZAZ, and A$A$, 'alert'.

2. It is with the strange plural marker OT = HU-AT reserved for girls, possibly to remove it from EDIYM = ED-HEM, 'witnesses'. The feminine plural EDOT is practically non existent.

3. Then says D. G. this: The OT marker removes the possibility of 'your witnesses', but what is this strange EY stuck there after OT. This, he says, in his (almost) infinite wisdom, is possibly the ancient plural marker II = HI-HI preserved now only as an attachment, as in XALONEY, 'windows', of 1 Ki. 6:4.

4. Strangely enough, for the possessive, Hebrew uses the obsolete (preserved in truncated form only as an attachment) personal pronoun AKAH (as in ANOKIY) instead of the, now common, ATAH.

Isaac Fried, Boston University