b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] binah-tvunah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] binah-tvunah
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:56:32 -0300

pere and all,

i hesitate to quote kabalistic sources, but i have nothing better and this
source is, at least, thought provoking. if i got it right, according to

http://pt.scribd.com/EhratiEnarzen/d/29757809/114-Binah-Tvunah-Comprehension-Application

(go almost up to the end) binah is a non-conscious potentiality and tevunah is
the conscious application of this potentiality. clearly this may not be the
original biblical sense. but in places where intelligence is god-given "nwtn
lskwy bynh", indeed the expression is binah. also ShN-BYNH refers to a
material, potential situation beyond our control. as if binah were a
biological stage in life, just like coming of age.

MBYN (a passive event/state) vs MTBWNN (an active-reflexive state) may
correspond to BYNH vs TBWNH. grammatically, a difference of stem.
from the same root (and yet another stem) we have BYWN (not biblical) - the
NEGATIVE side of intelligence, that of robbing it from the other. oddly, a
(non-transitive?) PIEL with no declension.

nir cohen

>>>De: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
Cópia: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org