b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 108, Issue 25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 108, Issue 25
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 12:33:24 -0300

isaac,

i was really trying to encapsulate my objection into a nutshell, but now
there is no escape from
a more detailed account. actually, my remark about gender generalizes also to
person.

in isa 22:4, if you changed the pronoun from ANI to HU/HI etc the minni will
change to mimkha/mimekh etc, making a difference. thus, separating MINNI
("from me") to MIN+ANI, as you did, at least makes grammatical sense, because
person/gender etc are indeed involved.

now, in job 31:7 if you change the noun DEREKH to, say, HAR or YAM
(masculine), or AZ (not even a noun) the minni will not change. thus, in this
case, separating MINNI to MIN+HI, as you also did (furthermore, specifically
arguing that HI represents the noun DEREKH) makes absolutely no grammatical
sense, because in the phoneme MINNI (="from") person and gender are not yet
specified. only the word which follows may specify them (or may choose not
to):

                              MINNI DEREKH (f), MINNI YAM(m), MINNI HAR(m),
MINNI AZ(-).

(the reason i ignored person in my first response is that in this
construction the only possible person value can be 3rd.)

nir cohen

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 06:15:03 -0500, Isaac Fried wrote