b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qal vs. piel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qal vs. piel
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 05:03:11 +0100

(Pere)

> Of course, Karl, sure that the Masoretes mistook this and this other word.
>
>> But... generally speaking the pi'el marks an intensive (as well as other
>> nuances) of the qal.
>>

> (Karl Randolph)
>

> Where do you get this idea of intensification? Is it not from
> mis-pointing of Qals as Piels?
>

> (Pere)

In most Hebrew grammars, Karl.
For a sample, in Gesenius Grammar:

"The fundamental idea of Pi'el to which all the various shades of meaning
in this conjugation may be referred, is *to busy oneself eagerly* with the
action indicated by the stem"

a) --a strengthening and repetition of the action:

צחק, *to laugh* (cf Gn 18:13) in qal and *to jest, to make sport* (cf Jdg
16:25) in the pi'el.
שאל, *to ask* (Jdg 5:25) in qal and* to beg* in the pi'el (Ps 109:10)

b) -a causative sense (like Hiph'il):

למד, *to learn* (Is 26:10) in the qal; *to teach* (Ecc 12:9) in the pi'el

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)