b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qal vs. piel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qal vs. piel
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 18:56:01 +0100

Of course, Karl, sure that the Masoretes mistook this and this other word.
But... generally speaking the pi'el marks an intensive (as well as other
nuances) of the qal.

Let us take $ILAX in Ex 8:28. Can this be, does it make sense, the usual
"send"? No. It is "sending away", "expelling" what makes sense. Paraoh did
not send the people (to Canaan for holidays, for an example), he expelled
it from Egypt! (I'm writing here in the positive, but in Ex 8:28 the
phrase is in the negative).

In Pr 31:19 does it make sense that the woman send her distaff to, say, a
friend of hers? No, she "sent her hand with courage, decision..." onto the
distaff.

Heartly,

Pere Porta

.