b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] song of Deborah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] song of Deborah
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 20:37:14 -0800

Speculations!

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Nov 21, 2011, at 2:15 AM, K Randolph wrote:

> so Mishnaic Hebrew was an official language used for high
> literature, religion and civic affaires, but no-one spoke it natively.

I will have to agree with Isaac. In fact, mishnaic Hebrew was the opposite:
it
was not a high language. During the Second Temple, classical Hebrew
was a high language and mishnaic Hebrew was a low language. The problem
with the Latin analogy is that mishanic Hebrew lines up with vulgar Latin
and the emerging romance languages, not the high language. Mishnaic
Hebrew only became a high language in the 3rd century CE.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicallanguagecenter.com