b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Clearing up the morphology of Hebrew, CV and CVC

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Clearing up the morphology of Hebrew, CV and CVC
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 00:43:48 +0300

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 9:36 PM, K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Let’s look at your evidence:

Please do. You've ignored it.

> Arabic, different language and late, irrelevant.
> Aramaic, different language and what evidence for vowels is there that is
> not late?
> MT points, late after a time when it is admitted that unstressed vowels
> were dropped.

Sorry, but your dismissal is simply ignorance of historical linguistics. It
is all verifyible data for those with the background to evaluate it. So
you wish to present speculation as evidence and simply ignore historical
linguistics and massive amounts of data that verify patterns. That is your
choice. In academics this is called 'untenable'. I thought that maybe you
were ready to evaluate evidence and learn something.

This ends the thread in my perspective.

> While the people would leave the written Hebrew text unchanged, because it
> had no vowels, they would give it the Aramaic vowels as they read it.

This is a demonstrably false statement. What was it about Aram katbet/kitbet
versus Heb katabti that you didn't understand? (Evidence is better than
speculation. You prefer Syriac ketbet?)

Again, with your insistence on presenting speculation and ignoring all
historical linguistic evidence, there remains nothing of substance to
discuss with you.

"barakawata"