b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hb 1:13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Pere Porta" <pporta7 AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hb 1:13
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:32:26 -0700

Dear Pere,

What is happening is that when TSADDIQ + cognates are looked at it is
automatically assumed that "forensic" righteousness is the meaning. If one
looks
at the uses of TSADDIQ + cognates one will find that it refers to "conformity
a norm," i.e. forensic/legal, ethical, cultural, national. In this instance
it
refers to the "conformity to the norm of God's (YHWH) as revealed in the
Torah."
If one looks at Genesis 38:26 (RSV), "Then Judah acknowledged them and said,
'She is more righteous than I, inasmuch s I did not give her to my son
Shelah.'"
This incident of Judah and Tamar shows that Judah had NOT conformed to the
cultural/ethical requirements of what was later called "levirate marriage."
Tamar took the matter into her own hands and forced the issue with Judah.
Thus,
Tamar "was more righteous."She had conformed to the norm NOT Judah.

Habakkuk 1:13 (RSV),
"Thou who art purer eyes than to behold evil
and canst not look on wrong,
why dost thou look on faithless men,
and art silent when the wicked
swallows up the man more righteous than he?"

The contrast with the "the faithless men, ...the wicked" and "the man more
righteous" is the key here. The Babylonian, the wicked, faithless, who is
wrong,
who is evil" is what is being looked at in contrast to the Israelite, in this
instance the Judahite, who is looked upon by Habakkuk as "more righteous, less
wicked, less faithless, etc." When looking this from man's point of view, then
there is a tendency to give degrees of righteousness. But, when looking at it
from God's point of view, there is no degree of righteousness. All mankind is
unrighteousness. That then leads to the statement in 2:4, "the just shall live
by faith." The Babylonian who is more wicked is being used by God to punish
Judah for their wickedness.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III