b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] maqom

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com,b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] maqom
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 22:03:19 -0200

jim,

i really see little difference between zone of influence, district,
country and empire. it is only a question of scale. so, let it be
as you say. even so, i see little scope in reconstructing history
and creating an empire without the historians and archeologists,
based on a single phoneme missing in the text.

speaking about a single phoneme, let us go back to your
12-13-14 theory. the text says on the four against five war:

12 years they worked (durative, not cardinal), then it says:
13 years they rebelled (durative, not cardinal), then it says:
IN 14 years came the 4 kings (i.e. on the fourteenth year, cardinal, not
durative).

ONLY in the third time is the cardinal phoneme IN mentioned. AND, the
phoneme IN here is really cardinal because it describes the date of the war.
had 12/13 been equally cardinal, they would have used the same phoneme!!!

so, the only consistent way to read this text (in biblical hebrew, not
in modern english!!!) would be quite different than yours:

12 years they laboured under the four rulers;
then, 13 ADDITIONAL (!!!) years they rebelled.
only ON the fourteenth year into the rebellion did the 4 kings
summon up an army to fight the rebels (a normal figure for those
times, i guess)

so, the fourteenth year is into the rebellion, not into vassalhood.

(also, i dont understand how you count the fourtheenth year as the
thirteenth, when it says explicitly fourteenth, though this is a
side issue).

so, a total span of 12+14=26 years from the previous war, not 14 as you
put it. ample time for abraham and lot to roam the land in total peace.

AND, no egyptian calendar.

well, at least this is the ONLY way a hebrew-speaking person would
interpret the text, grammatically.

again, my 26 theory, as your 13 theory, are based on
nothing but a word or a slight insinuation in the text. but mine is
more faithful to the bare text.

we could go on and on and debate this for weeks to come. but again, this
would be futile (from my perspective, at least) unless some archeological
evidence is there to support either claim.

nir cohen

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 21:13:15 -0400, jimstinehart wrote