b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 104, Issue 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 104, Issue 7
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 16:31:00 -0200

karl,

i am not a professional linguist, so pls take my opinion with a grain of salt.
i got interested in the BH tensing more than half a year
ago after b-hebrew discussions involving, initially, a question of fred
burlingam and
eventually discussions involving other members such as buth, luyt, furuli,
fried etc. initially
i made some naive remarks on the subject, which had a grain of truth, and i
pretend to report
to b-hebrew on some less naive interesting findings in the near future.

there is much debate on whether BH is tense or aspect prominent, with ardent
supporters on both sides. the truth is that both are correct and incorrect at
the same time.

however, after exilic times BH tensing changed drastically, by losing the two
prefix forms
weqatal and wayiqtol, and became tense based. then it became just like
aramaic. probably
this was preceded by aramaic pressure during many centuries of war and
coexistence. maybe hebrew
spoken dialect was already converging towards aramaic tensing in pre-exilic
times, but this was never
verified. whether they really stopped speaking hebrew, well, this was
heatedlydebated on b-hebrew
(about half a year ago?).although hebrew syntax converged to aramaic syntax,
word borrowing from
aramaic to hebrew is only modest and hebrew essentially maintained its
lexicon, etymology and
ways of expression.

canaanite/phoenician tensing is somewhat different, and is much based on
aspect, though little compatible
with BH tensing. there is one site on youtube which teaches canaanite verb
grammar.  apparently
in an effort to revive the language, mainly in lebanon.

here is some relevant reading on BH tensing if you are interested:

pj gentry. the system of the finite verbs in classical BH. hebrew studies
journal 1998. an excellent survey.

bk waltke-m o'connor have an excellent book on hebrew syntax which contains a
lot of insight and examples
on the correct interpretation of verb forms. an introd to BH syntax.
eisenbrauns 1990.

j joosten, do the finite verbal forms in BH express aspect? janes 29:49-70
2002   (the question is rhetoric!)

ja cook, the finite verb form in BH do express aspect. janes 30, 21-35.

those who put the problem in this way use the most primitive definitions of
tense and aspect as basis
for discussion, and obtain the most bizarre answers, since each language
creates its own definitions for
tense and, especially, aspect. some researchers like furuli, rainey, buth,
shulman,niccacci, revell use
more sophisticated definitions for aspect, or consider other factors (mood,
syntax, discourse) and then
tend to reject both hypotheses.

one source for the "primitive theory" of tense and aspect in typology is:
jl bybee, o dahl, the creation of tense and aspect in the languages of the
world. studies in language 13:83-?? 1989

a conjectured synchronic explanation for the prefix forms in BH within the NW
semitic block can be found in:

j huehnergard, early hebrew prefix-conjugations (i have no further details),
but also see:
ms smith, the origin and devel'pt of thewaw-consecutive. harvard semitic
studies 39 atlanta scholars press 1991.

best
nir

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:03:24 -0700, K Randolph wrote