b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Similar to......

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "R. Lehmann" <lehmann AT uni-mainz.de>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Similar to......
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 18:28:33 +0200

Not at all.
There is sufficient evidence that at least Old Testament times Hebrew and
Aramaic were incompatible foreign languages to each other, and in my opinion
it is well-proven that the phonemic repertory of both languages was well
distinct and different throughout Old Testament times.
However, the tricky point is the specification "Biblical", and the question
whether we deal with "languages" at all. Is there "a" Biblical Hebrew
language, or are there some and more Biblical Hebrew languages, and, what is
more, is Biblical Hebrew a language at all (? See for the last question the
important papers of the late Edward Ullendorf, Is Biblical Hebrew a
Language?, in: Is Biblical Hebrew a Language? Studies in Semitic Languages
and Civilizations. Wiesbaden 1977.3-17,
and Ernst Axel Knauf, War "Biblisch-hebräisch" eine Sprache? Empirische
Gesichtspunkte zur linguistischen Annäherung an die Sprache der
althebräischen Literatur: ZAH 3 (1990) 11-23.
The same can be debated with Biblical Aramaic.

BIBLICAL Hebrew and BIBLICAL Aramaic look so similar and contiguous only
because they both were, as being "Biblical", encoded by the same system (the
masoretic) and in a time (9th-10th century CE) when both languages in Jewish
tradition had melted to a certain extent.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
Academic Director
Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
D-55099 Mainz
Germany
lehmann AT uni-mainz.de
http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de
http://www.ev.theologie.uni-mainz.de/297.php
Subsidia et Instrumenta Linguarum Orientis (SILO):
http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/182.php
10th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH):
http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php