b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Is it a mistake?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Is it a mistake?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 15:00:56 -0200

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 06:13:55 +0200, Pere Porta wrote
> Now, some of the words you're provinding I'm not able to see what they are,
I don't find them in any of my resources. These are:

pere, these words are:

1) xir+w+ : you got me, it is slang.

2) zrzyf : trickle of water, or a light rain (BH?). rarely used today. it may
be connected with the semitic root *ZRB
whence ZRBWBYT (BH?) is still used as a the beak of a vessel or nosy shape.

3) ($twt: appears once in the OT, in job 12:5. the whiggly mekhon mamre
translation for this phrase:
A contemptible brand in the thought of him that is at ease,
attests to the difficulty in understanding this word and the parallel word PYD
which i thought meant "disaster/calamity".
anyway, it seems that ($TWT is not derived from ($T =iron. it may be
candidate to your list of mistakes.

see also:

CYPWR --> CPRYR, GWPR-->GWFRIT-->GFRWR (asphalt (BH) --> sulphur (BH) -->
match (modern)),
P(L-->P(LWL (=trick (modern)) and many similar modern verbs with third root
letter doubled.
come to think of it, this doubling is pretty common in both regular and
irregular
verbs, in hebrew and probably other semitic languages.

maybe also the city )$DWD and prophet XBQWQ. also DXL (Aram.
fear?)-->DXLYL=scarecrow. (RBWB=mixing.
SMRTWT=piece of cloh,rug.

nir cohen