b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why?
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 07:45:38 +0200

Dear b-hebrew listers,

We know that the dagesh is, between others, a feature of the Piel
conjugation.
And so,

DIBARTY, I spoke (Js 1:3)
$ILAXTY, I sent away (Mal 2:2)

We know too that gutturals take no dagesh even if they should take one as it
is the case of the Piel.

And so

NIXA$TY, I divined (Gn 30:27)
WRIXAMTY, and I will have compassion (lit. I had compassion) (Ex 33:19)

We would say the same for the Piel Imperative as in DABRY, speak (you,
female)! we find in Jdg 5:12.

But some Piel forms are also found whit NO dagesh when one would expect one.
And so

HALLW, praise (you, males)! (Ps 117:1)
HALLY, praise (you, female)! (Ps 146:1)

Compare also L$ALXW, to send him away (Ex 4:23) (dagesh) with LBAQ$W, to
seek him (1S 27:4) (no dagesh)...

So I wonder if these are scribal errors or... maybe there are some verbs
which even in the Piel take no dagesh where they should take one.
Maybe there is a reason for that lack of dagesh?

Regards

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)