b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 5th century BCE to 3rd century CE sociolinguistics (Buth, Kilmon)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kimmo Huovila <kimmo.huovila AT kolumbus.fi>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 5th century BCE to 3rd century CE sociolinguistics (Buth, Kilmon)
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 10:01:52 +0300

I hope this is not too off-topic for the list.

One of the most interesting (to me) threads over the last year has been
Randall Buth and Jack Kilmon's debate on the status of Hebrew and Aramaic
around 1st and 2nd centuries CE. At the time I was unable to participate, but
if I may reopen (and somewhat broaden) the question, I would be very
interested in how they see the sociolinguistic situation and its development
in the second temple period and some time beyond (say 5th century BCE to 3rd
century CE) in Israel. Who and in what situations would use the following
languages:
- High Hebrew
- Low Hebrew
- Aramaic
- Greek
- Latin
(I am not sure if Jack Kilmon makes a distinction between high Hebrew and low
Hebrew as Randall Buth does).

Contributions also from other list members is, of course, welcome.

Kimmo Huovila