b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Replt to George Alhas

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joseph Roberts <josephroberts3 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Replt to George Alhas
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 19:19:06 -0700

This is ridiculous! I have given you the benefit of the doubt
concerning the Hebrew Languages up to this point Mr. Sidney Williams,
because I am not fluent in Classical Hebrew. However Biblical Greek is
my passion, and trying to make Elohim out to be a plural verb is
simple absurd. the "im" ending functions as a way to pluralize as well
as a way to "magnify" a noun. Many times the noun will be magnified if
it is somewhat abstract, words such zequnim (old age); elohim is no
exception. Elohim is singular but with a im ending because Elohim is
abstract in denoting power. This is why the LXX uses Theos and not
Theoi.The New Testament authors seemed to recognize this fact when
they used Theos and not Theoi when speaking of God. Also when they
quoted the Old Testament they used the LXX and said theos and not
theoi. So unless u think the New Testament authors were "duped" like
the rest of us, you may want to rethink your beliefs.

-Joseph Roberts