b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is the Masoretic vowel pointing system artificial?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Joseph Roberts <josephroberts3 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is the Masoretic vowel pointing system artificial?
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 23:01:44 -0700

Joseph:

I don’t know anyone who claims that the vowel system as codified by the
Masoretes is artificial. As far as we can tell, it reflects the
pronunciation patterns as heard by the Masoretes for their time and place.

As far as the vowels being “original”, what do you mean by that?

If you mean that those were the vowels heard when medieval Hebrew was spoken
by the Masoretes, and which they attributed to Tanakh when reading it, then
yes, they are original.

If you mean that the points indicate Biblical Hebrew, as it was spoken in
the days of Jeremiah and earlier, then no, they are not original. The
original pronunciations have long been lost, forgotten.

Remember, comparing cognate languages is always an iffy proposition.

Karl W. Randolph.