b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hireq & sere

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew Forum <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hireq & sere
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:20:11 -0400

HIZMIYNU, 'they invited, they ordered', is written in "full", plene, with a yod following the mem, and consequently there is no dagesh in the letter N. The dagesh is, in my opinion, a very ancient cue for the xirik, and is superfluous in the presence of a vowel.
The dagesh in HIZMANU, 'we invited, we ordered', follows a patax, and is there as expected. I think that what you mean by "hearing" the dagesh is the faint natural doubling of any consonant, here N, situated between two vowels, here A and U. One hears it in AB-BIY, 'my father', AX-XIY, 'my brother', etc. Those who say they don't hear it need to pay closer attention.

Isaac Fried, Boston University