b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Pit" in Exodus 21:33-34

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, biblicalist AT yahoogroups.com, biblical-studies AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Pit" in Exodus 21:33-34
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:13:52 +0200

I have an idea, Yigal.
I spent the most of my childhood in the fields, here in Catalonia, a
mediterranean country (the same as Israel).
Now, there were two kinds of "pit":

1. The most common was the pit one built up by digging the earth near a
house so that when rain fell, the water was driven to it through a pipeline.
This was a very and much appreciated reserve of water, mainly for the hot
days of summer.

2. But peasants built up too a kind of "pit" (named here in
Catalonia "bassa"), say 4 meters long, 4 meters wide and 3 meters deep to
get a supplementary reserve of water. This water came from different
sources, for instance from a well.
Depending on the way this "bassa" / "pit" was constructed it is/was quite
possible that a donkey, a mule and even an ox (oxen were not present in the
field tasks here in Catalonia) to fall into it.
If at its falling there was, say, a volume of water two meters high... then
the beast was drawned and died because it could not go out from the pit by
itself.

I never experienced myself such a case -namely I never saw an animal drawned
this way- but I'm aware this event was something QUITE POSSIBLE to happen.

I don't know whether things are or were exactly the same in Israel (though I
gess they were). But maybe you'll find this experience of mine helpful and
useful for your purposes.

Very kind and hearty regards to you from

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)