b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: ra`yon and `inyan and what can be learned

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: ra`yon and `inyan and what can be learned
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 00:40:29 -0700 (PDT)

From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ra`yon and `inyan and what can be learned
To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, March 17, 2011, 12:27 AM

Karl,

With regard to what is written below, suffice it to say that I disagree with
much of it.  However, I have given it some consideration (as much as I have
time for).  And I will say that I have revised my understanding of Jb 139:17,
I see it now as this: "Your eyes have seen my unformed-lump, and upon your
recounting is all of them ((meaning: It is upon G-d, his task, to have
oversight of all of the unformed lumps of humanity)), they shall be impressed
(blueprinted so to speak), it will be a matter of days- they shall be formed.
And with regard to it (my lump), it is but one among them.  And with regard
to me, how precious are those that you are mindful of ( vs those you take
delight in).  How densely packed (vs numerous) are their heads.  Were I
to count them, they are more numerous then the sand.  I awaken (meaning:
come to life) and enduringly, I am with you."

So you see, although we do not agree with the translation, necessarily, you
have been successful to some degree in changing my opinion about its meaning.

If there others on the list, not sick of our posts, I would love to hear
others opinions about this translation.

I do not have time to comment on all your other points, unfortunately.
Count it as a partial win for you.

Cordially,'

David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA