b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Pardaes and barzel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>, B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Pardaes and barzel
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 23:39:01 -0800 (PST)

George,

I am often struck by how things I write are blatantly ignored by the members
of BH.  Take for example this statement:
"2.  The concept of פרד usually indicates division into dispersion or
spreading out. How does this fit your proposed etymology?"

The uses of the verb PaRaD are as I stated before and below.  Other than
Esther 3:8 (m'phorad) all of them mean one or more things "separated from"
others.  It is only in Esther that your definition of "dispersion / spreading
out" can be found.  If you would, please justify / explain your statement
with concrete references from the Tanakh.

paal: to separate, divide (Gn2:10);
niphal: be aloof (Pr18:1);  deserted (Pr19:4)
piel: to go off to the side (Hs4:14)
hiphil: to separate, set apart (Gn13:9;30:40)(KgII2:11)(Pr16:28)
hitpael: (moved aside) to be out of joint (Ps22:15;92:10)
A PaRDaeS is an area that is set apart from another.

As for the Samekh, how do you explain the samekh in S'PhaRaD = spain, Have
you never heard someone explain its etymology as "a land set far off"

What is the earliest documented source of the use of the Persian equivalent?

As for my oblique concept that Iron might be of primary use in making holes,
I refer you to the wikipedia entry for iron: " Meteoric iron....was often
used to forge weapons and tools...Items that were likely made of iron by
Egyptians date from 2500 to 3000 BC.[30] Iron had a distinct advantage over
bronze in warfare implements. It was much harder and more durable than
bronze,"  As far as I know the goal of a weapon is to incapacitate an enemy
by making holes.  I could be wrong but most tools of that time had the
function of smashing, shaping (a form of smashing) and making holes.

Cordially,

David Kolinsky
Monterey CA