b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Esdraelon

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "'B Greek'" <b-greek AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Esdraelon
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 23:27:38 -0800

Dear List,

My apologies in advance for the cross-posting, but a colleague of mine is
presently in Israel on tour. He asked me to check with you all to find the
following information. He is beginning to think that what we have is very poor
transliteration (intervening delta between sigma and rho). Does anyone know
the
derivation of the "Esdraelon"? It seems that "Valley of Esdraelon" is
synonymous
with the "Valley of Jezreel." I think also that it is also synonymous with the
"Valley of Megiddo, but I could be wrong. It is found 4x in Judith (1:8; 3:9;
4:6; 7:3) and is spelled ESDRHLWN (with the "WN" place signifier equivalent to
the Hebrew "ON" suffix).

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III