b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] sorry

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] sorry
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:25:38 -0500

1. Meaning is not a point-wise, but rather an an extensive quality and therefore comparison of meanings needs to be done in the original Hebrew, not on its purported translation.
2. It is my firm opinion that "modern" Hebrew and "biblical" Hebrew are one and the same language. As long as we don't have a norm for "sameness" this discussion will be of no avail and of no end. Isn't English of the last decade the "same" language as of this decade even though it gained meanwhile some thousand new words? Or are they only "related"?

Isaac Fried, Boston University