b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] gen 16:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lbr AT sprynet.com>
  • To: <jimstinehart AT aol.com>, <lbreich AT alum.mit.edu>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] gen 16:12
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 03:29:50 -0500

Jim –

Thanks for your very helpful elucidation. Perhaps I was being too
literal-mided, but your message on which I was commenting had indicated
“typical English translation of PR) )DM as ‘wild ass’”, whereas your adduced
examples document translations that would have seemed plausible to me: “wild
ass of a man”.

That in English “wild ass” may sound pejorative seems to me only to highlight
the lamentable but unavoidable fact that translations are treacherous.
Translating PR) as “stallion” would have its own difficulties, as English
readers would incorrectly assume it referred to a horse.

Lewis Reich