b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] kamatz vs. patax

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] kamatz vs. patax
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:55:13 -0300

isaac,

so you agree with my two points:

1. the distinction between kamatz and patax does have some practical
meaning even today, for example putting the stress in the word naxal.

2. your description about the scribe filling in kamatz or patax just
according to whether there existed a dagesh or not, cannot possibly
approximate reality, e.g. in the word naxal where a dagesh does not
exist at all.

in order to define better the point of contention on open/closed
syllables i would add the following:

3. the open/closed stressed/unstressed syllable logic is practicall
the only one consistent with the hebrew nikud system.

4. it is still not clear to what extent this logic, and the
entire nikud system, are proper to BH.

i would say that the clear answer to item 4 is "to a large extent".
it is up to those who disagee to bring a concrete alternative
hypothesis which relates hebrew nikud to some other vowelling system
available to masoretic scribes. since the choice is not very big
(aramaic, greek, roman, arabic, samaritan?...), this task should not
be very difficult. good luck.

regards
nir cohen

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 19:19:35 -0500, Isaac Fried wrote