b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] kamatz vs. patax

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] kamatz vs. patax
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 19:19:35 -0500

Stress is a fickle thing. We, indeed, articulate naXAl (qamac-patax), 'inherited', versus NAxal (patax-patax), 'brook', yet we stress gaMAl (qamac-patax), 'ripened', the same way we stress gaMAl (qamatc- qamac), 'camel', and gaMAl, (patax-qmac), 'camel-driver'. To differentiate between the two we utter raCAh (qamac-qamac), 'he wanted', but RAcah (qamac-qamac), 'she run'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University