b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Remove my e-mail

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Cliff Moody" <clmoody AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Remove my e-mail
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:04:11 -0800

from your list clmoody AT comcast.net
Thanks,
Cliff Moody
>From sesamox AT hotmail.com Wed Jan 19 04:27:31 2011
From: Sesamo m. <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:21:51 +0100
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew pronunciation before the Masoretes

Thanks a lot for your comments.
Jack Kilmon, very interesting your words about the original pronunciation
of Jesus' name.
Karl Randolph, thanks for your comments on the plosive pronunciation of
certain letters by the Galileans. This must have brought troubles to the
apostle Peter during the trial of Jesus.
William Parsons, thanks for your observations about the schwa. So there
might have been fewer changes than I thought.

Now I've got a few questions for you.

William Parsons wrote: "It's also possible that the Hebrew form always was
Miryam, and that Maryam was an Aramaism."
Do we have any clues that this might have been so? Jack Kilmon said
"Mattiyahu" became "Mattaya", so here we have a sound "i" that becomes "a".
Is this a pattern?
(By the way, I wonder about the ending "-on" in the case of "Mattaion"; is it
just something added when transliterating the name into Greek, just like the
"-n" in "Solomon"?)

I've got a question about the pronunciation of YHWH. I know there is a lot of
controversy and I don't want to add to it; I know there are no certainties
here, and I just like to explore the possibilities. In my first post I
mentioned the possibility that first vowels tended to weaken. William Parsons
points to the possibility that those vowels were like that all the time. Now
I wonder, in the hypothetical case that my suggestion were true, could it be
possible that the theophoric prefix "Yeho-" were originally "Yaho-" (so the
name was "Yahowi", Yahowa" or whatever) and that the form "Yah" were just an
apocope?
Parsons wrote that the LXX rendering "Io-" seem to favour "Yeho-" rather than
"Yaho-", but could it be that the hypothetical weakening occurred before?

For the pronunciation of "Yerushalem", Parsons wrote: "There was an extensive
discussion of this a while back. You might want to check the archives". Was
it specifically about Jerusalem, of about the diphthong "ai"?

Thanks a lot,
Sergio Saavedra (Madrid)

  • [b-hebrew] Remove my e-mail, Cliff Moody, 01/18/2011