b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Why not patah? Why the ambiguity?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Why not patah? Why the ambiguity?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:40:46 -0800 (PST)

  ...>"The thing is that we...  don't know what is the
intended distinction between a qamats and a
patax. Did these markings represent different
pronunciations, or was  the qamats used to indicate
only something gramatical, we just don't  know >..."

     If you'd taken the slightest trouble, you'd
have found out that whoever vocalized the consonantal
text, heard distinctly two different 'A' vowels.
    Correspondingly they were given different markers.
One was a Qamatz, another a Patach, and related to
the last, a semi-vowel hataf-patach. There is no point
in explicating the differences bweteen long and short
vowels here. For one thing,  Proto-Semitic may raise
its ugly head. Just dust off your old elementary
grammer books.

  The second post to which I respond, read in part:

  ..."> My question is: why a qamats and not a patah?

> Reasons like "tradition", "custom"... are not welcome.<"..

   Please check the top of my current post.
   Hopefully the following words wll be a little
welcome...

   Sometimes those who vocalized  biblical texts, made
mistakes, but this is not the place to elaborate.

   Then there are the well known differences between
'Ktiv' and 'Qri'. Because certain words were written
one way, 'Ktiv', and had become canonic with the text
in which they appeared, they could not be changed even
when they were considered wrong.
   So they were pronounced differently, and this was known as
  'Qri'.

   Many hundreds of such difference between the 'Ktiv'
and the 'Qri" were counted in the biblical texts; however,
according to different counts, they amounted to over
fifteen hundred cases, depending on
the manuscripts.

  Uri Hurwitz                                    Great Neck, NY

The thing is that we (at least this humble member of this great list)
don't know what is the intended distinction between a qamats and a
patax. Did these markings represent different pronunciations, or was
the qamats used to indicate only something gramatical, we just don't
know ––– the NAKDANIYM took their secrets with them to their grave,
and left us wondering. In any event, no one I know speaks a qamats
differently than a patax. I think that the dagesh preceded the NIKUD
and wherever the NAKDANIYM saw a dagesh they marked a patax,
otherwise they put a qamats.
Trust me that if you write a patax instead of a qamats no one will
notice, except for some real experts (for most people the NIKUD is
anyway is but a mere annoyance and a hindrance to fluent reading),
but your NIKUD will be considered "incorrect" and you will be derided
for it. So, to put a "correct" NIKUD I look it up in one of the
available tables and copy it verbatim.
Suggestions surface from time to time to reform the NIKUD and combine
the different Hebrew A markings, but the Hebrew "Academy" is too
orthodox for that, and the Hebrew speaking public doe's not give a
hoot, "knowing" NIKUD is not required anymore for the high school
BAGRUT exams.
A syllable is open if it is opened, and is close if it is closed.

Isaac Fried, Boston University