b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The pronunciation of YHVH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The pronunciation of YHVH
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 08:50:54 -0500

Hi all

I came across an earlier discussion on the prpronunciationf the Name of
YHVH, looking again at the evidence for the pronunciation as YAHWEH
using early CE Greek manuscripts (now closed). I used to wonder how
modern scholars came to that particular pronuciation, as I would have
expected something like YiHVeH from my meager Hebrew knowledge.
snip/snip
Comments?

Regards
Chavoux Luyt

Hi Chavoux,
The Editors of the Encyclopedia Britannica of 1911, under thetopic
JEHOVAH (Yahweh)writes:"The early Christian scholars who inquired what
was the true name of the God of the Old Testament, had therefore no great
difficulty in getting the information they sought. Clement of Alexandria
(d. c. 212)says that it was pronounced Iaoue.”Garth Grenache who posts on
B-Hebrew from Australia, has written off-line to me that Iaoue would be a
fine transcription of “Yahweh”.However under a footnote for the above
sentence, in the Encyclopedia Britannica of 1911, the editors lists
“Strom. V.6 Variants: Ia oue, Ia ouai; cod. L. Iaou.”There are at least
three variants for Stromata V, 6:34, but theextant 12th century Greek
Codex L has Ia?? and not Iaoue. Also.in my own personal study of the name
"Iaoue" between the years 1200 A.D.and about 1850 A.D. I found no
scholarly source that listed Iaoue as having been written by Clement of
A.However the 1905 A.D. Greek critical edition of Clement’sStromata V,
6:34 by Otto Stählin does list the form "?a???,among the variants for
Clement’s Stromata V, 6:34.Dave Donnelly
Ring in the New Year.
Start the year off right with a free camera phone from AT&T.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d32f7dc3201ebaff7est02duc