b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] words with the same root letters

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] words with the same root letters
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 20:33:14 -0500

Now days $MIYR, 'dill'. Its root $MR appears to me to be a variant of CMR of which we have CEMER, 'wool', and CAMER-ET, 'treetop' (interestingly enough, English, with its hundreds of thousands of words does not have a specific equivalent). Also of ZMR, of which we have ZMOR-AH, 'twig', and ZEMER, 'song', YMR, SMR, of which we have MA-SMER, 'nail, metal twig'; and possibly also of TMR, of which we have the tree name TAMAR.

Isaac Fried, Boston University