b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Wasn't Codex L. pointed according to a preserved Jewish Oral Tradition?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Wasn't Codex L. pointed according to a preserved Jewish Oral Tradition?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 08:30:13 -0500

The title of this topic is:
Wasn't Codex L. pointed according to a preserved Jewish Oral Tradition?

I thought this subject was discussed a while back on B-hebrew,
and that it was sort of decided that when the first Masoretic texts were
created,
there was a PRESERVED JEWISH ORAL TRADITION
that clearly indicated how every single word of THE "UNPOINTED HEBREW
TEXT" was pronounced,
and that the Masoretes used that PRESERVED JEWISH ORAL TRADITION
to point the various Masoretic Texts that now exist.

Am I correct in this belief?

Dave Donnelly

P.S. It was also my understanding, that the PRESERVED JEWISH ORAL
TRADITION
was most definitely used to determine how the Jewish reader was to read
the six variants of YHWH
that occur in Codex L.

It is my opinion all the Jewish reader has to do to know how to render
YHWH in Codex L., is to observe the vowel point under the "Waw". If the
"Waw" in YHWH has a qamets under it, just render that variant of YHWH as
"Adonai" and if the "Waw" in YHWH has a hireq under it, just render that
variant of YHWH as "Elohim". This method seems to work 100% of the time.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Browse the web faster. Download Chrome
Browse the web as fast as you think. Give Google Chrome a try
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d19e6b17db9187fc02st04duc