b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ts'laph'chadh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yodan" <yodan AT yodanco.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ts'laph'chadh
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 23:06:31 -0800

I'm not discussing the meaning of the names, just one of the vowels in two
of them...

I believe that there's a Kamatz Katan under LAMED in the father's name and
under HEIT in the 3rd daughter's name - hence, Tzelophhad (note that the
vowel of PH is Shva NaH) and Hogla (note that the vowel of GIMEL is Shva
NaH). I know that the translations of the first name is Tzelophehad as if PH
has a Shva Na, but the reason for the E could be in order to avoid a
situation of PHH.

Any thoughts?

Rivka Sherman-Gold