b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zeloph-ehad or THE NOBLE ONE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Ishinan <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zeloph-ehad or THE NOBLE ONE
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 19:08:45 -0600

Hello Ishinan:

Thanks for your comments. I think you make some excellent points.

The arabic and aramaic languages appear consulted a lot less than the greek
language, for interpreting biblical hebrew words.

Word meanings in any language frequently change depending on place, time,
purpose, user, etc. These variables impel me to try and steer clear of
referring to any other language for assistance in deciphering ancient hebrew
word meanings. I try to look at the context of the document, if possible, to
decipher word meanings.

Your analysis seems sound, but I just wonder whether it slips into
speculation by reason of reference to another language.

regards,

fred burlingame