b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ALE QEREAX

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ALE QEREAX
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 18:04:22 -0500

1. I tend to agree with you that QERAX is hail BARAD (close to PARAD for
the individual grain), snow, or frost, KPOR. I have the feeling that QERAX
is not related to QAR, 'cold', but rather to QARA(, 'tear, lacerate, rip'
for the grainy nature of the frozen material made of GARGERIYM. I am
afraid of Arabic, but QARAX is possibly related this way to the Arabic
G'ARAX.
2. My feeling is that QARAXAT is not so called for its likeness to a
smooth and shiny ball of ice, but is rather a patch cleared of hair,
possibly by plucking.

Isaac Fried, Boston University