b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 4:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 4:3
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:59:53 -0500

1. The root (D ( עד ) appears to me to be a variant of (among other) )Z ( אז ) and (Z ( עז ), expressing existence, and corresponding to the English 'is'.

2. The root is extended by the addition of personal pronouns, or identity markers.

3. The word (AD-EN of Eccl. 4:3 appears to me to be like the current ADAYIN עדין, the Aramaic EDAYIN אדין (see Dan. 2:17) and the Hebrew AZAY אזי (see Ps. 124:3), with the addition -EN to serve as an identity marker for the occurrence for which (AD is used.

Isaac Fried, Boston University