b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Another Quick Question...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Butzu <jbutzu AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Another Quick Question...
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:46:03 -0500

Hello all again.
After the great response from my last question yesterday, I have decided
this morning to "try again" with another simple question from a self taught
layperson trying to understand the Hebrew Bible. I use a newer version
of Bible Works frequently to help aid my study and came across something in
the Hebrew Morphology that I find puzzling. Here it is...
(Note: for all you BibleWorks users out there, you may be able to answer
this question easier, yet I think anyone who knows Hebrew could help me in
answer this question.)

In the Psalms, when an introduction is given, i.e. "To the *chief* Director,
a Psalm of David," the first line of the unpointed masoretic text reads:
*LMNCX
LDWD MZMWR. * (Psalm 40:1 lamnaccëªH lüdäwìd mizmô - BHT transliterated)

My computer software program is telling me that the particle article
*"het"*(eng. "the") is found in the first word of the text, yet it is
not in the
text. I do not think that this is a software glitch, as the people from
Bible Works are usually on top of mistakes such as these and correct them as
soon as possible in various upgrades and patches.

*Can anyone please explain why, along with the prefix lamed ("to, for") my
software program is telling me that there is a "het" that is being
associated with the first word, (that word is in the piel form - hence eng.
translation = "chief, etc" ... ???*

Thanks for any and all responses again.

Sincerely,
John Mark Butzu