b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Charles Ryrie and the name "Yahweh"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Charles Ryrie and the name "Yahweh"
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:49:34 -0500

Hi Kirk,

You wrote:

In the Westminster Leningrad Codex, YHWH appears exactly 6,828
or fivetimes more than your source.

But...of what use is this fact?

Blessings,

Kirk
B-Hebrew moderator

Kirk,

At best it that fact would only mean something,
if the Jewish people pronounced the un-pointed Tetragrammnaton [ i.e.
YHWH ] as "Yahweh".

And I don't know of any source that claims that the Jewish people ever
pronounced "YHWH" as "Yahweh"

Kirk, have you ever found a source that claimed that there was ever a
time in history,
when it was know [ as a fact]
that the Jewish people ever pronounced the un-pointed Tetragramaton as
"Yahweh"?

Dave Donnelly

P.S.

Of course in about 190 A.D. ,
Clement of Alexandria wrote that "the word of four letters" was called
"Iaoue",
which favors the pronunciation "Yahweh",
but certainly that does not prove that God's name was "YAHWEH"
unless Clement was inspired by God to write "Iaoue"

b-hebrew] Charles Ryrie and the name "Yahweh"Kirk Lowery Kirk at
GrovesCenter.org
Mon Nov 8 07:44:53 EST 2010