b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Eve and the Hivites

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eve and the Hivites
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 15:25:29 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
To: fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr ; George.Athas AT moore.edu.au ; b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 2:38 PM

Dr. Fournet:

The purpose of this thread on the b-hebrew list is to try to figure out the meaning of the Biblical Hebrew word XWY at chapter 34 of Genesis. Although your comments are interesting from a Hurrian language point of view, they have almost nothing to do with the point of this thread.
***
And

May I ask to which extent yours do?

Arnaud Fournet
***

The question here is whether XWY in chapter 34 of Genesis does, or does not, mean “the Heba people”. We know that historically, people who worshipped the pagan goddess Heba are documented as being at Shechem in the Late Bronze Age, and in my controversial view that is the historical time period of the Patriarchal Age. With the historical facts of the mid-14th century BCE being settled as to these particular issues, the remaining outstanding issue is a b-hebrew list type of issue: the historical linguistic issue of the etymology of the Hebrew word XWY. I have quoted three mainstream scholars who tie the notorious pagan goddess Heba to the name “Eve”/XWH. Your post, which said nothing explicitly whatsoever as to that particular issue, might possibly be read, by its silence, as implying acceptance of that viewpoint. If the Biblical Hebrew name XWH is tied to Heba, then why wouldn’t the Biblical Hebrew name XWY as well be tied to Heba? That’s my contention on this thread. We must keep the focus here on trying to interpret the historical meaning of the Hebrew word XWY [since no one on the b-hebrew list except you and I have any interest in exploring Hurrian language issues for the sake of Hurrian language issues]. But the b-hebrew list is designed to, among other things, explore the meaning of mysterious, controversial Biblical Hebrew words like XWY.
***

To be frank,
I prefer answers to mysteries.

A.
***

I view the XWY at chapter 34 of Genesis as being “the Heba people”, that is, people in mid-14th century BCE Shechem who historically worshipped the notorious pagan goddess Heba. The narrow question being explored on this thread is whether that historical linguistic assertion of mine is valid or invalid. Have I or have I not succeeded in uncovering, for the first time in over 2,000 years, the historical meaning of the heretofore mysterious Biblical Hebrew word XWY at chapter 34 of Genesis? One of the main purposes of the b-hebrew list is to explore the meaning of Biblical Hebrew words [such as XWH and XWY], and I am trying very hard to keep this thread within those parameters [or else this thread will be immediately closed by the moderators,
***

yes
From my own experience I would agree that sometimes (or maybe rather often)
moderators are as much a problem as listees.
But this is not the purpose of this list to discuss that kind of issues.

Arnaud Fournet
***