b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NXWR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: if AT math.bu.edu
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NXWR
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:50:27 EDT

Isaac Fried:

You wrote: “I tend to think that the defining portion of NAXOR is XOR or
XUR, 'noble' (see 1 R 21:8-11 etc.).”

There is no word XR like that in the Hebrew Bible. It’s only in the
plural, XR-YM.
Yes, XR-YM is at I Kings 21: 8, 11, where it’s customarily translated as “
nobles”. But that same word XR-YM is at Deuteronomy 2: 12, where it’s
often thought to mean “Hurrians”. An earlier version of the same word,
namely
XR-Y, is at Genesis 14: 6, where it clearly means “Hurrians”. XR is the
two-letter root for the Hebrew word for “Hurrians”.

Gesenius tries to tell us that XR-YM at I Kings 21: 8, 11 means “nobles”,
and comes from the Hebrew root word XRR, which means “to burn”. Are “
people who burn” supposed to be “nobles”?

Isaac Fried, when you chop off the N in NXWR, and then you cut out the
interior vav, you’re left with XR, the root of the Hebrew word for “Hurrian”.

Your attempt to find a west Semitic root for the non-Semitic name NXWR
results in the cure being worse than the disease.

The reason why you cannot find a west Semitic cognate for NXWR that makes
sense is because NXWR is a non-Semitic name, being the Hurrian word for “dowry
”: ni-xa-a-ri. The main role that Nahor plays in the Patriarchal
narratives is to provide female descendants, in the heart of Hurrianland in
Naharim,
that become the brides of Abraham’s successors as Patriarchs. That’s Nahor
’s #1 role: providing a “Hurrian Dowry”, as it were. The Hurrian word
for “dowry” is ni-xa-a-ri, whose letter-for-letter expected spelling in
Biblical Hebrew, in order to reproduce this 4-syllable Hurrian name, is
exactly
what we see in the received text: NXWR.

There are many Hurrian names in the Patriarchal narratives, including NXWR,
and XBR-W-N, and ‘PR-W-N. The presence of an interior vav is one key to
spotting a Hurrian name. There’s no way that a 1st millennium BCE editor
jammed an interior vav into those three names, as a way of updating the
spelling
of those ancient names. What would be the point of that? Rather, that
interior vav was in those three names from day #1. And when was day #1? The
only time when the Hurrians were present in Canaan was in the 14th century
BCE. All these Hurrian names we keep seeing in this text are dating the
composition of the Patriarchal narratives to the mid-14th century BCE. No
later
editor put those interior vavs into those names. No, those are vintage
Hurrian names, being non-Semitic names, that had that interior vav from day
#1.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois