b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NXWR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NXWR
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:50:26 -0400

Here is what I think of the name NAXOR. There is of course no Hebrew root that means 'snort'. The root NXR is a variant of NGR, NHR, NXR, NKR, NQR. I tend to think that the defining portion of NAXOR is XOR or XUR, 'noble' (see 1 R 21:8-11 etc.) It is related to HOR or HAR, 'mountain', and KOR, 'heap'. This is, methinks, also the basic meaning of HARAN (AHARON?), XARAN, XIROM, XERMON, and XARMAH. In the variant KAR it appears in KARMEL.

Isaac Fried, Boston University