b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew sister word for Aramaic word

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dewayne Dulaney <dewayne.dulaney AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, josephroberts3 AT gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew sister word for Aramaic word
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 19:14:44 -0500

Hi Joseph,

You wrote recently,

>What i am wonder is does this Aramaic word ??????????
>used in the Peshitta in Hebrews 1:3 have an Hebrew equivalent as well or
>at least is there a common Hebrew word used to translate this word. I am
>trying to do a word studying on this word. thank you for any help you can
>offer.

I only saw question marks in place of your Aramaic word (did you use a
non-Unicode font?), but in context of the full paragraph, I'm guessing
you're asking about Tselema (image) and the Hebrew word Tselem.

In both the Deltizsch and Hebrew Modern versions of the NT the Hebrew
tselem is used in Hebrews 1:3. This is the same Hebrew word for
"image" that is used in the Hebrew text of Genesis 1:26-27 (Masoretic
Text) for the creation of mankind in the "image of God".

A good way to check on Hebrew equivalents of the Peshitta NT
vocabulary is to consult these Hebrew translations of the NT. The
Delitzsch version is available as a module for the freeware programs
e-Sword (unpointed text) and Davar3 (pointed text), both for Windows.
The Sword Project software (cross-platform, including Mac and Linux
also) offers the Hebrew Modern NT as a module. The website Unbound
Bible also lets you compare the Peshitta NT and the Hebrew Modern
versions side by side. I haven't used the Hebrew Modern enough to tell
how close its vocabulary is to the MT, but I know from using the
Delitzsch NT that its vocabulary is very similar to the Hebrew MT.

Hope you find the info useful.

Shalom-שלום

Dewayne Dulaney-דוין דולני

--
"From the world you will have trouble. But, be brave! I have defeated
the world!"—John 16:33, DDV (Dewayne Dulaney Version)

My Bible blogs: http://my.opera.com/Loquor/blog/ and
http://hasopher.preachersfiles.com/