b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] JPS Daniel 9:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Seth Knorr'" <sethknorr AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] JPS Daniel 9:27
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 16:13:37 -0400

> From: Seth Knorr Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:24 PM
> To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: [b-hebrew] JPS Daniel 9:27
>
> I was reading the JPS on Daniel 9:27 which read "And he shall make a
> firm covenant"
>
> I was wondering if this is a proper translation, since the word for
> "make / cut" (KRT / karath) which is generally present, is not found in
> the Hebrew.
>
> Ie. Ezekiel 34:25 "And I will make [ KRT / (karath) ] with them a
> covenant"
>
> In my research of covenants in the bible, it seems like (KRT / karath)
> is always there.

[SteveMiller:] KRT is not always there, but usually. Others verbs used for
initiating a covenant are:

קום in the hiphil is used a lot, raise up. (Gen 6:18; 9:9, 11, 17; 17:7,
19, 21; Exo 6:4; Lev 26:9; Ezek 16:60,62)
בוא, enter into (2 Chr 15:12; Jer 34:10; Ezek 16:8)
natan, give (Gen 9: 12; 17:2; Num 25: 12)
עמד in hiphil, cause to stand (1 Chr 16:17, repeated in Ps 105:10)
שומ put in place 2 Sam 23: 5
לקח take into 2 Chr 23:1
צוה commanded Ps 111:9
עבר passed into. Deu 29:12

Exo 6: 4 (AV) And I have also established my covenant with them, to give
them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, wherein they were
strangers. (with Abraham, Isaac & Jacob)

Ezek 16: 60 (AV) Nevertheless I will remember my covenant with thee in the
days of thy youth, and I will establish unto thee an everlasting covenant.
(New Covenant(?) with Israel). v62 similar.

IV.
1 Chr 16: 17 And hath set up the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for
an everlasting covenant, (To the person Jacob or Israel, not the people
Israel, from the previous verse.) Ps 105:10 is the same verse within the
same passage.

> I noticed that Christian translations of Daniel 9:27 leave out "make."
>
> With the way it is worded, is it better to translate as strengthening /
> confirming a covenant that already exists? Or could it go either way;
> it may or may not mean the creation of a new covenant?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

[SteveMiller:] Seth, Thanks for pointing this out. It is a good point.

I do not think it means to strengthen an already existing covenant, but I
couldn't rule it out.
Of the many verbs that take covenant as an object, they all seem to indicate
different ways that the covenant was initiated. From the meaning of the
verbs קום or עמד alone, it might follow that these could mean to raise up an
already existing covenant, but that is not how they are used. It might be
argued that Lev 26:9 has that meaning, but I think it refers to initiating
the new covenant.

Lev 26: 9 (AV) For I will have respect unto you, and make you fruitful, and
multiply you, and establish קום my covenant with you.

Gbr in the hiphil is only used in 1 other place:
Ps 12: 4 (AV) Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are
our own: who is lord over us?

I think the meaning is that this prince to come prevails upon the majority
of the people, לרבים, to force this covenant upon them.

Leupold says, 'The verb highbir cannot have only the meaning, "he shall
confirm the covenant," for the verb involved is stronger. We therefore
translate, "He shall make a covenant to prevail." '

> Regards,
>
> Seth Knorr

[SteveMiller:] Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
Judge me, O my Lord, for I have walked,
walked in my integrity,
and I have put my trust in the Lord.
I'll not slide away from Thee. (Ps 26:1)