b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Syntax and Translation in 1 Sam 13:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kenneth Litwak <javajedi2 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Syntax and Translation in 1 Sam 13:14
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:54:13 -0700 (PDT)

I'm looking at the middle clause of 1 Sam 13:14. I apologize if I'm using
the wrong scheme for transliteration:
BiQeSh YHWH Lo (iSh KiLBaBo

YHWH seeks for himself a man like his heart
YHWH seeks for himself a man according to his mind
Something else? Now that I'm actually lookikng at the construction in
Hebrew, I'm wondering if the 3ps suffix on LBB has Lo as its anticedent or if
(iSh is its antecedent. I'm not sure what the second would mean but I want
to understand how to read this correclty syntactically. Commments please.
Thanks.

Ken Litwak
Azxusa Pacific University

  • [b-hebrew] Syntax and Translation in 1 Sam 13:14, Kenneth Litwak, 08/27/2010