b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] [Can theophopric names with Yeho prefixes be derived from Yehovah or maybe from Yehowah or maybe from "Yahweh"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 AT juno.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] [Can theophopric names with Yeho prefixes be derived from Yehovah or maybe from Yehowah or maybe from "Yahweh"?
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:34:44 -0400

Hi Yitzhak,

In the very last sentence of your reply to:
[b-hebrew] The best translation (was Re: b-hebrew] Can YHWH at Genesis
3:14 [ in Codex L. ] be "correctly"read as"Yehowah"? [ RE-TITLED
MESSAGE),

You wrote:

P.S. I hoped to understand why people on this list think that
Hebrew theophoric names furnish evidence for a trisyllabic
pronunciation but I guess in light of the way the threads
turned, I'll have to wait for another time to find this out.

Yitzhak.

Given that Gesenius
[who thought that the name Yahweh might have been the actual
pronunciation of God's name]
is said to have written the words below, why not try now.

Also those who consider that Yehowah was the actual pronunciation
are not without ground on which to defend their opinion;
in this way can the abbreviated syllables Yeh and Yo,
with which many proper names begin,
be more satisfactorily explained.

Dave Donnelly

P.S.

Are you also willing to try to determine if theophoric names starting
with Yeho prefixes could be derived from Yahweh?
Both William Smith's 1863 "A Dictionary of the Bible"
and
"The Jewiah Encyclopedia of 1905", claim that it can be done!!!!!
TODAY: iPads for $23.74?
SPECIAL REPORT: iPads are being auctioned for an incredible 80% off!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c2cd21a19d9eff395st05duc