b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Unpointed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Pere Porta'" <pporta7 AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Unpointed
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 23:11:08 -0400

Pere,

Here are a few that I consider to be mistakes in the Masoretic pointing:

Ps 23:6b לְאֹרֶךְ יָמִים וְשַׁבְתִּי בְּבֵית־יְהוָה
As it is vowelled, the MT Hebrew text means "I will return", but that does
not make sense with the preposition "in". Therefore no one translates it "I
will return". Instead, they amend the consonantal text to say "I will dwell".
The same MT consonants without modification mean "I will rest" if vowelled
differently.
I think it means "and I will rest in the house of the Lord for the length of
days"

Ps 27:4 same as above except "all the days of my life" instead of "for the
length of days"

Ps 16:2 The MT Hebrew with vowels says "You (2nd person feminine singular)
said to Jehovah ...". This doesn't make sense because there is no female
antecedent for "You". The Hebrew verb "said" could be 2nd person masculine if
vowelled differently. I think that when the Masoretes added the vowels to
this word, they made it feminine so that it could not refer back to "my God"
in v1, for that would make for two "God's" in their eyes: my God in v1
talking to Jehovah in v2. They dared not alter the sacred consonants, so all
they could do by adding the vowels was to make it feminine.
KJV translates it "My soul, you said to the Lord", but there is no other
place in the Bible where "my soul" is added.
I think the meaning is "my God" in v1 is speaking to Jehovah, similar to Ps
110:1 where Jehovah speaks to "my Lord".

Ps 110:3 The last phrase, "I have begotten You" is vowelled in the MT to say,
"Your childhood". I believe that the meaning here is "I have begotten You",
not "Your childhood" because:
1. The LXX translated this word as "I have begotten You".
2. The consonants here are exactly the same as Psalm 2:7.
3. "Your childhood" does not make sense here. It is usually translated as
"Your youth", but the word here is "childhood", elementary school age, not
"youth".

It is a hard verse to translate in any case. My current attempt is:
Your people are free will offerings in the day of Your army in the splendor
of consecration from the womb.
Since the dawn, in your place is the dew. I have begotten you.

If someone has other suggestions, I would be glad to hear them.

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info