b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is the extant Leningrad Codex "given by inspiration of God"?"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is the extant Leningrad Codex "given by inspiration of God"?"
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 12:16:30 -0700

Dave:

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 5:48 AM, <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Maybe I should have only asked a question such as:
>
> "Is the Text of the extant Leningrad Codex generally used as the Final
> Authority when members of the b-hebrew Discussion Board discuss a
> particular Scriptural question?

The answer is “No”.

> Then I might have followed up my first question with:
>
> Is there any extant Hebrew Manuscript that a Hebrew Scholar might use to
> correct any errors [ if any ] that are believed to exist in the extant
> Leningrad Codex?

Again the answer is “No”, for there is not one extent Hebrew manuscript.
Rather we look through all extent Hebrew manuscripts, as well as
translations, where there is a question concerning the text.

> Those two questions are probably much easier to discuss openly, on this
> forum.
>
> Dave Donnelly
>
> The problem is that all manuscripts have errors in their copying of the
previous texts. Some are better than others in how few mistakes got through.
The Leningrad Codex has the advantage that it is the oldest complete codex
in existence, as well as it gives evidence of being one of the more accurate
copies, yet it is not without error. The Aleppo Codex is considered by some
as being more accurate, but it is no longer complete.

It would be great if we could get the original manuscripts from the original
authors, then there would be no question. As it is, we analyze all the texts
to try to recover, as much as possible, what was the original text.