b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] starting Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: rosewalk AT concentric.net
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] starting Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 17:20:59 -0400

They are called "exceptions to the rule", and these are learned and memorized together with the rules, and the student is taught to know the difference.

Shoshanna

Incidentlally, we've had students in BH immersion contexts who
produce amusing syntheses. After hearing classroom vocabulary
talk about qirot 'walls', shulHanot 'tables', Halonot 'windows',
gagot 'roofs', kisseot 'chairs', meqomot 'places', luHot 'boards/
tablettes', often in the first two or three days of class, some
have suggested during 'break times' that -ot is the form for
masculine plural. We smile and suggest they keep listening.
They soon hear about avanim gedolot 'big stones' and
tsiporim qetannot 'little birds', but ha-ish Hazaq and ha-isha
Hazaqah eventually win the day. the central core of a language
must be learned 'as is', since the common words often defy
the systems. Might as well learn it right at the beginning.

braxot
Randall Buth
--
Randall Buth, PhD