b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Amorites

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Amorites
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 08:34:01 +0300

Jim,

several issues here. Firstly, this thread is about the Amorites. Please
don't polute with a discussion about the Horites versus Hurrians. There's
another thread for that discussion.

Secondly, please stop presenting arguments against an identification of
Kadesh-Barnea or the Gulf of Aqaba. The last I checked nobody is disagreeing
with you on this. Qadesh was a common name.

Thirdly, we had a thread about El Paran and the evidence is against your
theory of Oak tree. Alon means Oak tree. Tereminthos means turpentine tree.
But please don't polute a discussion about the reach of the Amorites with
these kind of issues.

Finally, you eventually said something on topic. You have singled out one
particular period in one particular Amarna letter EA175 and limited the
Amorites to Hasi in the Beqa Valley. The Amorites were primarily nomadic and
their reach was far beyond one particular city in one particular valley.
They were all over the place causing an annoyance to neighbours in all
directions. They were so abundant that the Term Amorite was almost perfectly
synonymous with the term Canaanite. You seem to have gotten hung up on one
particular source and be trying to make the story fit into that source in a
time period which doesn't even align well.

In short, if you want to continue a discussion about the reach of the
Amorites in various periods then I'm happy to continue analysing the data
with you but please stay on topic without relying on massively embedded if
clauses and circular logic.

James Christian