b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:32:04 +0300

Hi,

Karl has on many occasions pleaded with you to learn Hebrew before
presenting your foundationless theories. The expression בְּהַרְרָם שֵׂעִיר
is quite clearly a construct relationship. Perhaps the most simple and
common grammatical construction in Hebrew that if you knew Hebrew you should
have immediately recognized. The translation would be something like
mountains of Seir or hills of Seir if you really prefer hills as your
translation. In any case, this is a quite clear reference to the mountain
range of Edom very much South of the dead sea.

Then after defeating the Horites in the mountains of Seir we are told that
the army marched עַד אֵיל פָּארָן אֲשֶׁר עַל־הַמִּדְבָּר. That is to say as
far as El-Paran 'which is in the desert'. The context and usage of El-Paran
clearly places El-Paran as a place in the desert not the name of the desert.
Given the preceeding geography of the path taken by the army this is most
likely some settlement/oasis in Wadi Paran down in the Arabah. It is only
after this long journey of conquests (Starting with the Rephaim in
Ashteroth-karnaim and ending with the Horites in the mountains of Seir) that
when the armies end up in El-Paran in the desert that they then march
against the Amalekites and Amorites in En-Mishpat. Notice that En-Mishpat is
translated for the reader as Kadesh. This is obviously a modernisation for
the reader. Something like saying "and after the Dutch built New Amsterdam,
that is to say New York". This is a clear sign of an old story with old
names with some light modernisation to help the reader recognise the places.
Then after the armies end up in Qadesh and only then did the kings of Sodom
and Gomorah, Admah and Zeboim march out against them and meet up in בְּעֵמֶק
הַשִּׂדִּים where there were pits of bitumin. Such a description could never
be even remotely imagined to be a place north of the dead sea.

After being defeated the survivors fled to the hills. The geography
presented is quite clear. We have a valley with tar pits with desert on the
one side and hills on the other. There is nothing in the transjordan which
could even remotely fit such a description.

James Christian