b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Holy Name Unpronounced

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Holy Name Unpronounced
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 19:33:22 -0500

I see it so. In the beginning a schwa NA was a "forward leaning" schwa or a schwa that, supposedly, opens a syllable, and a schwa NAX was a "backwards leaning" schwa, or a schwa that, supposedly, closes a syllable. Seeing the word NA, 'moving', later generations thought it has something to do with TNUAH (not TeNUAH), 'vowel' and they started to "move" it. Some old Hebrew grammar books advise against this curious flowery interpretation of NA, but apparently to no avail, as it kept moving into ever wider circles.
Today, Hebrew speakers often override the schwa and replace it by an e sound at their convenience. In any event, I never "move" a schwa (except in a preposition) as it makes the language sound crisper.

Isaac Fried, Boston University